History of flooded villages and construction of the Orava dam
In 1953, the waters of the Orava Dam surrounded the former landmark of the village of Slanica - a hill with a church and a Calvary - and created an island in the middle of the dam at an altitude of 609 m. In the summer of 1972, an exhibition was opened in the former tomb, presenting documents on the construction of the Orava Dam and the history of the flooded villages. Some settlements and villages were flooded by the waters of the Orava Reservoir in 1953 and thus ceased to exist. These include: Hámry (Oravské Hámre), Lavkovo (Osada Dolného Štefanova), Osada, Slanica.
Cultural monuments on the island:
Church - built in 1766 - 1769 as a chapel, expanded in 1843 in the nave and a locksmith's chapel was added.
Monument to Anton Bernolák - a monument to the first codifier of standard Slovak, Anton Bernolák, a native of Slanice (3.10.1763 Slanica - 15.1.1813 Nové Zámky), who originally stood in the flooded village of Slanica, was moved in front of the church on the island. The author of the bronze statue from the second half of the 1930s is the sculptor Mikuláš Machala.